10.14.2007

The Beginning

I suppose I should start this blog by telling the story of Matt, how his tough entrance into this world started a journey we never expected to take. Matt was born 7 years ago, in the fall of 2000. He suffered from a preventable brain injury due to lack of oxygen during his birth. He started to seize almost immediately after he was resuscitated. Had the doctor used a fetal heart monitor, I would have been given an emergency cesarean, and his life would have never been so tough. I wish so much I would have known more going into Matt's birth, but we can't look back, so we focus on today, and hope for an easier tomorrow. He has spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy caused by hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. He is completely dependant. I am his mom, and I started this blog for many reasons. A little for others, a little for Matt, but mostly for me. So that those who want to know what's going on can just look, and to give me a way to tell Matt's story, one day at a time.

1 comment:

Doreen said...

Thanks, Andrea for blogging about Matt and your journey with him. It hurts me to read it all, and see what you've had to go through....but I am blessed by your honesty, openess and insight. You have learned so much in such a short time. I am just amazed at your strength of character, which I'm sure has come from dependence on God.
Keep it up, and we'll keep praying for you, Doug and the family.